Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Seagulls in the Light


On the beach, a box of light
Where a few seagulls stand
And peck for scraps.
They flap
Their wings if a passerby
Comes to close
Or a stiff breeze blows
Their feathers.

I throw them a piece
Of my sandwich,
Which they scuffle with each other over.

I turn to you.
How many times have we,
Like the seagulls,
Scuffled over scraps of that coveted bread
We feel we can’t live without
Only to realize,
In the calm that follows the storm,
That what we were fighting over was little,
And that we have wings
And can fly
together

Or fall?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That could not be tuer, Gil buddy. Whew. I mean, I think that's what were doing over in Iraq. Stupid seagulls.It just makes me so mad. Not your poem. The war.

Anonymous said...

A penny saved is a penny earned. What have you earned? I girl from my high school tried to drown herself by filling her clothes with pennies and walking into the river. What did she save?