Tuesday, September 12, 2006

To MFA or Not, That is My Question

I know many of you have mfa degrees, and many people tell me this is the only to get published or get a job. I'm thinking about applying, but to where? Here's my list so far:

Iowa (because Robert Lowell and WD Snodgrass went there)
NYU (Galway Kinnel & Sharon Olds are great poets, so they must be awesome teachers)
Columbia
Ohio
Boston U (I love Seamus Heaney)


I'm thinking two NYC schools because I love the New York School.

Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know who those niggaz Snod and Lowel are, but most of those Legit Dangers poets went to Iowa. Yo said yo wanted to be up in that, so Iowa looks like da place.

Gil Childers said...

thanks, julia. you make a good point with all those legit dangers folks being iowa alums.\

Where did Heaney go? I want to go there. Probably somewhere in Ireland, natch.

Gil Childers said...

Actually, what am I saying?

What I mean is, where's Billy Collins teach. That's the place, I bet.

Anonymous said...

Do you mean THE Ohio State University. Shit their football team is AWESOME! They really put it to the Longhorns this weekend. Should've come over, Gil. Hot chicks and beer! Write a poem about that my man! Later.

Anonymous said...

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Do you see?