Monday, September 11, 2006

I finally discovered the poem that to me, perfectly gets at that dark place I felt in my chest on that fateful day. The poem is by the great Mexican poet, Fredrico Garcia Lorca, who in my opinion is right up there with the greatest poets of all time: Whitman, Hass, Olds, Marvin, Siken and Jackson (Major).



Dawn
—a translation of Fredrico Garcia Lorca

Dawn in New York bears
two columns of ash
and a tornado of black pigeons
dappling the water with their throats slit.

Dawn in New York morns
on the escalators of air
which lead out to a red ocean
where seagulls and wreaths of garlic drift.

Dawn descends with no lips to kiss it,
because today no morning or promise is possible.
Only on occasion, the exquisite singing of coins
that splash in the cups of the blind, which remind us
we were children.

The quick on the streets know not to dream:
for them, no new Eden, no love deleafing;
they seek a new hieroglyph in the sky, primed to choke
any sport devoid of genius and the sweat which knows no profit.

Light is drowned in steel, endless alarms,
and the terror of technology: rootless, dispeopled, unable to shadow.
And dazed there, staggering like ghostwalkers— the insomniacs,
as if narrowly emerging from an apocalypse.






And below is my humble response to the beautiful words of Garcia Lorca. My attempt is not to try to write a great poem like Lorca (because let’s face it, that’s impossible!!), but to write more like we write today, while still using some of that Surrealism that made Lorca’s poem so memorable:

Dawn 2
—after Garcia Lorca

Lorca, you couldn’t imagine
what those planes looked like
(if they even had planes back in your day)
flying into those two silver towers
like metal birds flying into metal trees.
Words cannot describe these things.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

GC, don't be so hard on yourself, man. Metal trees? I mean, that's some pretty sweet stuff. I didn't think of that. I'd put you in my anthology. In fact, you're poem here has inspired me to try to write some poems. but because I get embarassed, I'm going to try personan poems where you talk like someone else. It'll be like acting I think which I'm pretty good at.

Anonymous said...

would you mind if i sent you some?

Anonymous said...

ps - how do you know about mexican poets? i don't even know american ones.

TEAM_KCY said...

Damn, that Lorka Junk was hot. Where did you find that joint, Sill's blog (it's tight)it was like mad prophetic, like the GZA of poetry or something, but i like how you brought it back home, by talking all like people talk today. Yo G, when you gonna post that Opossom hustle, that peice was hillarious. L8ter, yr boy, R(I)P

TEAM_KCY said...

Damn, that Lorka Junk was hot. Where did you find that joint, Sill's blog (it's tight)it was like mad prophetic, like the GZA of poetry or something, but i like how you brought it back home, by talking all like people talk today. Yo G, when you gonna post that Opossom hustle, that peice was hillarious. L8ter, yr boy, R(I)P

TEAM_KCY said...

Damn, that Lorka Junk was hot. Where did you find that joint, Sill's blog (it's tight)it was like mad prophetic, like the GZA of poetry or something, but i like how you brought it back home, by talking all like people talk today. Yo G, when you gonna post that Opossom hustle, that peice was hillarious. L8ter, yr boy, R(I)P

Anonymous said...

hi gil:

did you see Hass' poem in BAP? it was tits, man. i wish that guy would write more.

i've heard he cheated on his first wife a lot. i guess fame does that to you. i mean, look at kobe bryant. he cheated.

when you're a major literary figure like hass, it must be hard to be faithful. all those women throwing themselves at you. even li young li cheated (i heard)!

Anonymous said...

Yo Georgie Porgie my man, you don't know what your screaming dog, me and Gill have seen Hass read, (remember Dodge dog) and he ain't no pimp. Anyone with that much integrty and who can spit life-affirming words like him is bound to be true to his wife. You've been reading haters blogs. Hass is like the Tupac (the Keep your Head Up version) of poetry.
Don't hate on H-dog, R.(i) P.

Anonymous said...

RP:

there's no need to get nasty. this is a public forum, and as such, requires respectfulness.

as far as hass goes, i'm just repeating what i heard. have you read sun under wood? that really haunting poem about the man at the artist colony who couldn't make love with the woman who had the double masectomy so she left two bowls full of water and dead bees on his porch...you think he made that up? that's about one of the women he tried to cheat with.

i wish he was more like his poems in real life too, but when you're that talented, you tend to not be the best person. but if you make good art, you're kind of excused. you know?

no disprespect, man. just trying to express my =self here.

Anonymous said...

Yo Boy-George, don't get it twisted, you're my boy, anybody that reads H-diddy is alright with me. You seem like a serious blogger who is mad in-the-know. Much respect. And yeah, I only have three copies of Sun Under Wood, (watcha you talking 'bout willis). I still think all that cheating stuff is just hearsay by Hass-haters. I practicly know Hass, (saw him read twice, at Dodge '04 and in NYC) and i know he wouldn't do anything like disrespect a lady. In my book,
Hass will always be da Head Hancho. Happy blogging brother, Reynolds (W)rap

Anonymous said...

i love whitney houston.

Anonymous said...

Beggars can't be choosers. A homeless guy once threw a slice of pizza at me in San Fransico.